Yoga in the Walkways: Yoga on Tower Bridge

The yoga revolution that has swept the world has left its mark on most capital cities around the world, yet for one of London’s oldest and most famous buildings, it would seem, at first, “a bridge too far”.

shutterstock_115821286.jpg
The wonderful Tower Bridge at sunrise…

Not so for the team at the Tower Bridge Exhibition. The glass walkway that cuts its way across the bridge with traffic flowing below makes for an exciting new addition to the London yoga scene by transforming an iconic London destination into a surreal, serene yoga ‘studio’ of rectangular proportions..Welcome to Yoga in the Walkways.

I have to admit that when I first turned up at the class, I was in a bit of a state. An early morning start meant that I managed to leave my beloved yoga mat at the Royal Oak tube station. Memories of my attachment to my mat started flooding in, for it was on this my first mat where the yoga love affair all started, at Suryalila with Vidya Heisel in Southern Spain. Being a yogi, I tried to let these feelings go, non-attachment and all that.

The class began and soon the sentimental feelings started to fade away as Billie Woodcraft, the lovely and very approachable yoga teacher, started to lead us through a gentle yet dynamic flowing vinyasa class. With atmospheric sounds to accompany us as we progressively moved through the asanas, the sense of being elevated high into the sky on top of the bridge whilst observing the traffic 42 metres below moving at pace through the glass floor really added to the practice.

A feeling of lightness pervaded me, as if we were in some form of bubble or vacuum. ‘Am I really doing yoga whilst looking down on traffic passing in silence as they make their way across the bridge, or am I in a dream…?’

img_5901
‘Bow’ in the Walkways

During the class, I saw the morning light breaking through the clouds and down into the cityscapes of Canary Wharf. I noticed that my state had shifted – I felt very present  with the class and my surroundings. It was a feeling that I hadn’t experienced for a while in my yoga practice, a practice of which that perhaps had become accustomed to my usual routine. Yoga in the Walkways certainly brings a new perspective to a yoga practice.

img_5860
‘Sunrise’ in the Walkways

After a lovely flowing practice, Billie gently led us down into savasana.. Here was I, in total relaxation, whilst busy Londoners were starting their day beneath me.  Perched high above one of London’s highest and most famous landmarks, I had just experienced inner peace. Most importantly though, I was ready to start my day at the bank. I ended up having an extremely busy and intense day, but it was my morning practice at Yoga in the Walkways that kept me feeling fresh.

img_5876
‘Savasana’ in the Walkways

London is an old city, but it is a dynamic and bold city as well. As the practice of yoga continues to enter into the mainstream, what better way to celebrate this than by practising Yoga in the Walkways at Tower Bridge.

Classes are £25 and take place been 7.30am to 8:20pm. It is popular and classes sell out fast so its advisable to book early.

Click HERE to book or for more info.

YB

24 Comments Add yours

1. Wow yoga at tower bridge ..great photos.. thanks for bring peace into london for a few hours.

1. yogibanker says:

Thank you! London is amazingly busy, but there are plenty of places you can find solitude too 🙏

1. Yes that is true..

2. Loretta Heywood says:

oh my god ,you wld never get me that high!! i LOVE it …Scotty Niahala is def going to take you to higher places with allof this.. best part is you are serious,but having fun !! and that makes it more interesting as not to stuffy and up yoru arse kind of sprituality ..its great thats the unique thing ,now the card you made can start to make sense also …maybe have 2 a serious one and that one …

i forgot to look at Blog re mentioning me? can u re send ,sorry im in midst of finding load sof love songs and learning them for new shows (-; do you want tod o Sound Therapy Sunday possibly ,with a Cd of you can bring it >? x

3. That is so cool! ❤️❤️❤️

1. yogibanker says:

Thank you!! When u come to Paris, swing by London too 😎✌️️😀

1. I really need to for so many reasons and now this!!! 🙏🏻🙏🏻. Sorry about your mat. 😳 I understand about non-attachment, but a familiar mat is always nice. My dog chewed mine up- 3 of them- so I just use whatever they have available at the studio. 🐶

4. yogibanker says:

I ended up with my beloved mat again, it was karma we believe for I handed on a wallet for an army guy which I found at the same station where I left it 😇. That’s one heck of a dog, mines jade rubber, not sure he’d like that!! 🙏🙏

5. pixieandpine says:

This is so cool! I’ve been to London once and loved walking across the Tower Bridge… but I can’t imagine doing yoga way up there! What even?!? Next time I’m in London, I might just have to try this. I’ll be sure to book in advance! Thanks for sharing, and great blog!

1. yogibanker says:

Thanks for stopping by! There’s infinite places you can do yoga, especially in London so it seems, but yes this place is quite interesting. So next time you are in town, it’s worth going! 3rd Wed of every month I believe 😀👍

1. pixieandpine says:

Thank you, good to know!

6. Writergrrrl says:

What a great idea! And what a unique way to experience the city! Thanks for sharing – great pix, too!

1. yogibanker says:

Glad that you liked it! Highly recommended and different too. All the best, Scott

7. Meghan Capps says:

I bet that does bring some new perspective being able to watch the city wake up while you practice yoga from above. The pictures are good also!

1. yogibanker says:

It totally does, sky high above it all! 👍 thanks for stopping by, merry Christmas! 🙏🌲

8. Hello,
    This is exciting!
    Any plans to have this on a weekend?
    Thank,

1. yogibanker says:

Hi there, thanks for your message! Let me check with the PR agency that promotes it. Any particular reason you ask? 😀 thanks, Scott

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks for the response.
        It will be almost impossible for me get back to office after the session on a working day. I could see that all the future dates are on Wednesdays. 🙂

2. yogibanker says:

That’s a challenge if you don’t work in central London, maybe you could ask your boss for leniency? 🙏

Liked by 1 person

3. I am thinking of a feasible plan! Thanks!

4. yogibanker says:

I don’t know how advanced your practice is, but it’s unique and worth the experience 😀👍. Hope u get a chance to go! 🙏

5. Thanks, Let me see!